Friday, January 7, 2011

1952 Hendricks House Edition, Moby-Dick

Moby-DickHere is the 1952 Hendricks House edition, which is by far my "favorite" edition of Moby-Dick. As a collector, I have multiple favorites, but when pressed by folks, this is one of my top favorites, at least it is the one I go to when reading the novel.

Firstly, there is the massive feel of this book. It measures 2 3/4 inch thick. At 6 x 8 1/2 inches, it sits well on my desk, open to any page.

Secondly, and more importantly, after the 568 pages of the text, then begins an astonishing 265 additional pages of explanatory notes. Many things obscure to us in the 21st century are revealed in the notes...

In the Moby Dick bookcase (maybe I will post some pictures of it in the future...), this book dominates the shelf it sits on, saying to the other editions: "move over guys, this is my space..."



Moby Dick














Next post: the oldest paper back in the collection.


4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog thanks to Matt Kish's site. What a great idea! Have read "Moby Dick" 7 times now, due for another read this year, so you know I mean it when I say no other American novel is more deserving of this project/hobby of yours. In my younger days I did the same thing with editions of "Frankenstein," but gave up after only a few years. This is much,much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't find any contact info for Hendricks House. Are they still in business? If not, is it possible to buy either a hardback or paperback copy of the 1952 HH edition of Moby Dick somewhere? Any and all info greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an edition that says 1952 both on the copyright and title pages, but the cover is a plain blue, no title or image. Was there more than 1 printing?

    ReplyDelete